Monday, 16 January 2017

 I can't believe that we are already past the first term of school.  We started our second term with the Topic 'Animals' - always a favorite subject with children and they were so eager to learn more about animals and participate in the activities.

 
      On the first week we talked about 'Pets'.  A pet is a friend.  We discussed which animals make good pets, what pets like to eat and where they sleep.  Pets have feelings and needs just like us. Animals need food, water, shelter and fresh air and it is our responsibility to provide these things for our pets. We should keep them clean and clean up after them. This is very important when we take them out on the streets for some exercise; not cleaning up after your pet is selfish and against the law.

   We should spend quality time with our pets and take them to the vet when necessary. 






         During literacy we learned different names of animals  that make good pets (new Vocabulary).  I gave out crayons and asked the children to draw their pet.  I asked those who do not have a pet to draw the pet they would like to have and imagine it is their pet.  I helped the children make up three sentences about their pet to memorize for a 'Show and Tell' we had in class.  Some of the children were a bit shy to speak up in front of the other children while showing their drawing but they all did so well.  I am sure that, seeing they were actually able to do it, getting a big well done from the teacher and being appreciated by their peers, boosted their confidence. 

















 



























        The letter of the week was 'k' (kelb).  For phonological awareness we start by identifying the sound of the first letter of a word.  I prepared a picture game where they could find more pictures starting with the same letter. During the week we had different activities to help us identify the letter and recognize the its shape and sound.




























      These photos were taken during  some of the maths activities of this week.


























     We had fun making a paper plate dog!
























































No comments:

Post a Comment